The Panasonic Lumix S1R is a full-frame mirrorless camera that was released in 2019. With a 47.3-megapixel sensor, it is one of the highest-resolution cameras in the market. The camera also features a high-speed autofocus system, 4K video capabilities, and a durable build. In this detailed review, we will discuss the camera’s features, performance, and whether it is worth the investment.
1What are the key features of the Panasonic Lumix S1R?
The Panasonic Lumix S1R is a full-frame mirrorless camera that boasts a host of advanced features, including:
- High-resolution sensor: The S1R features a 47.3-megapixel full-frame sensor that produces stunning, high-resolution images with excellent detail.
- Dual image stabilization: The camera incorporates 5-axis in-body image stabilization, which is combined with lens stabilization to deliver a powerful dual image stabilization system that helps reduce camera shake and produces sharp images even in low-light conditions.
- Fast autofocus: The S1R has a fast autofocus system that uses advanced depth-from-defocus technology to deliver quick and accurate focusing performance.
- High-speed burst shooting: The camera is capable of shooting up to 9 frames per second in burst mode, making it well-suited for capturing action and fast-moving subjects.
- Weather-sealed body: The S1R has a durable and rugged body that is resistant to dust, moisture, and extreme temperatures, making it ideal for use in harsh outdoor environments.
- Intuitive controls: The camera features a user-friendly interface with intuitive controls and customizable buttons that allow photographers to easily access the settings they need.
- Large electronic viewfinder: The S1R has a high-resolution electronic viewfinder that provides a clear and detailed view of the scene, even in bright sunlight.
- 4K video capabilities: The camera can shoot 4K video at up to 60 frames per second, and it also offers a range of advanced video features, including high-speed recording, 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording, and V-Log support.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity: The S1R can be easily connected to a smartphone or tablet using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, allowing users to transfer images and control the camera remotely.
- Compatibility with a range of lenses: The S1R is compatible with the growing range of high-quality L-mount lenses, as well as the vast array of Micro Four Thirds lenses via an adapter, providing users with a wide range of options for their photography needs.
2How does the image quality compare to other high-end cameras on the market?
The image quality of the Panasonic Lumix S1R is outstanding, making it a strong contender among other high-end cameras on the market. The camera has a full-frame 47.3-megapixel CMOS sensor that produces sharp and detailed images with excellent color accuracy. It also has a 5-axis image stabilization system that helps to reduce camera shake and produce sharper images. The Lumix S1R’s low-light performance is also impressive, with excellent noise reduction even at higher ISO levels.
In comparison to other high-end cameras, such as the Sony A7R IV and the Nikon Z7 II, the Panasonic Lumix S1R holds its own in terms of image quality. However, some photographers may prefer the color rendition and dynamic range of other cameras, and it’s always worth testing different cameras to find the one that best suits your needs and shooting style. Overall, the Lumix S1R’s image quality is exceptional and is one of its biggest strengths.
3What is the battery life like on the Panasonic Lumix S1R?
The Panasonic Lumix S1R comes equipped with a powerful DMW-BLJ31 battery, which is capable of delivering up to 360 shots per charge, according to CIPA standards. This is a decent battery life, but it may not be enough for extended shooting sessions, particularly if you are using the camera heavily or recording a lot of video footage.
Fortunately, the Lumix S1R also features USB-C power delivery, which means you can charge the camera on the go using a portable battery pack or a wall adapter. Additionally, the camera also supports in-camera charging, so you can charge the battery while it is still in the camera using the included AC adapter.
Overall, while the battery life of the Lumix S1R may not be the best in its class, it is still more than adequate for most shooting scenarios. And with the ability to charge the camera on the go, you can rest assured that you won’t run out of power even on long shoots.
4How does the autofocus system perform in low light conditions?
The autofocus system on the Panasonic Lumix S1R performs exceptionally well in low light conditions. The camera uses a contrast-detection autofocus system that is highly accurate and responsive. It has a wide range of autofocus points that cover almost the entire frame, providing the user with a lot of flexibility when composing their shots.
In low light conditions, the autofocus system is able to quickly and accurately lock onto subjects, even in dimly lit environments. The camera’s autofocus system also has a low light autofocus assist feature that uses a small LED light to provide additional illumination for the autofocus system to focus on subjects in low light conditions.
Additionally, the camera also has a manual focus assist feature that enables the user to manually focus the lens with greater precision, even in low light conditions. This feature is particularly useful for photographers who prefer to manually focus their shots, or for situations where the autofocus system is struggling to lock onto the subject.
Overall, the Panasonic Lumix S1R’s autofocus system is one of the best on the market and is particularly impressive in low light conditions.
5Can the Panasonic Lumix S1R shoot video in 4K resolution?
Yes, the Panasonic Lumix S1R can shoot video in 4K resolution. It can shoot 4K video at up to 60 frames per second with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, resulting in high-quality footage with sharp detail and minimal distortion. Additionally, the camera offers a range of advanced video features such as high dynamic range (HDR) recording, V-Log recording, and 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording. The camera also includes a range of tools and features to help videographers capture professional-quality footage, including focus peaking, zebra patterning, and timecode support. Overall, the Panasonic Lumix S1R is a capable video camera that can capture high-quality footage suitable for professional use.
6What is the dynamic range like on the Panasonic Lumix S1R?
The dynamic range of the Panasonic Lumix S1R is impressive, thanks to its 47.3-megapixel full-frame sensor. The camera is capable of capturing a wide range of tones and shades in high-contrast scenes, providing a level of detail and accuracy that is difficult to match.
The camera’s sensor is also capable of producing images with high levels of detail and sharpness, even in low-light conditions. This is due to the camera’s ability to capture a wide range of tones and shades, which helps to preserve detail and texture in both highlights and shadows.
In addition, the Lumix S1R features a built-in HDR mode, which allows photographers to capture a wider range of tonal values in a single shot. This is particularly useful when shooting scenes with high contrast, such as landscapes or cityscapes with bright skies and dark shadows.
Overall, the dynamic range of the Panasonic Lumix S1R is excellent and is one of the camera’s standout features. Whether you’re shooting high-contrast scenes or low-light environments, the S1R’s sensor is capable of capturing a wide range of tones and producing images with exceptional detail and accuracy.
7How does the size and weight of the camera compare to other full-frame options?
The Panasonic Lumix S1R is a full-frame camera, which means it is larger and heavier than many other cameras on the market. It measures 5.87 x 4.33 x 3.82 inches (148.9 x 110 x 96.7 mm) and weighs approximately 2.25 pounds (1021 g) with the battery and memory card included.
While the size and weight of the camera may not be ideal for all users, it does offer several benefits. The larger size allows for more physical controls and a more comfortable grip, which can be important for professional photographers who are using the camera for extended periods of time. Additionally, the larger body allows for better heat dissipation, which can be helpful when shooting video or taking photos for long periods of time.
Compared to other full-frame options, the Panasonic Lumix S1R is relatively similar in size and weight. However, it may be larger and heavier than some smaller mirrorless cameras, which can be more compact and lightweight for travel or everyday use. Ultimately, the size and weight of the camera will depend on individual preferences and shooting needs.
8Is the Panasonic Lumix S1R suitable for professional photographers?
Yes, the Panasonic Lumix S1R is suitable for professional photographers. Its high-resolution sensor, fast autofocus system, and ability to shoot in a variety of lighting conditions make it an excellent choice for professionals who require a high-performance camera. Additionally, its robust construction, weather sealing, and intuitive controls make it well-suited for use in the field. The camera also supports a range of professional features, such as a high-resolution electronic viewfinder, dual memory card slots, and a variety of customizable shooting modes.
9Are there any unique or innovative features on the Panasonic Lumix S1R?
Yes, there are several unique and innovative features on the Panasonic Lumix S1R:
- High-Resolution Mode: The Lumix S1R features a high-resolution mode that uses the sensor-shift technology to capture and combine eight separate images to produce a single 187MP image. This mode is perfect for capturing highly detailed landscape and architecture shots.
- AI-based autofocus: The Lumix S1R’s autofocus system uses AI technology to track and recognize subjects, making it easier to capture sharp, in-focus shots. Additionally, the camera features a deep-learning autofocus algorithm that can recognize humans, cats, and dogs.
- Dual memory card slots: The camera has two memory card slots, which allow you to store more photos and videos without having to constantly switch out cards. It also supports high-speed UHS-II SD cards.
- Weather-sealed body: The Lumix S1R is built with a rugged, weather-sealed body that can withstand harsh weather conditions, making it suitable for outdoor photography.
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity: The camera features Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, allowing you to easily transfer photos and videos to your smartphone or computer.
- In-body stabilization: The Lumix S1R has a 5-axis image stabilization system that helps reduce camera shake and blur when shooting handheld.
- Customizable settings: The camera has a range of customizable settings that allow you to adjust the camera to your specific shooting needs. This includes a custom menu and function buttons that can be assigned to frequently used settings.
Overall, the Panasonic Lumix S1R offers several unique and innovative features that set it apart from other full-frame cameras on the market.
I hope You Also Like it: Should I Buy a Mirrorless Camera
10What lenses are available for use with the Panasonic Lumix S1R?
The Panasonic Lumix S1R utilizes the L-mount system, which is a collaboration between Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma. As a result, there are a variety of lenses available for use with the camera from these three manufacturers, as well as from other third-party manufacturers who have adopted the L-mount.
Panasonic has released several lenses specifically designed for the Lumix S-series cameras, including the Lumix S Pro 50mm f/1.4, the Lumix S Pro 70-200mm f/4, and the Lumix S Pro 24-70mm f/2.8. These lenses are all high-quality, professional-grade lenses with weather-sealing and other advanced features.
Leica has also released a number of lenses for the L-mount, including the APO-Summicron-SL 50mm f/2 ASPH and the Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH. These lenses are known for their exceptional optical quality and build, but they also come with a hefty price tag.
Sigma has released a variety of lenses for the L-mount under their Art, Contemporary, and Sports lines. These include the Sigma 35mm f/1.2 DG DN Art, the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports, and the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art. Like their other lenses, Sigma’s L-mount lenses are known for their excellent performance and relatively affordable price.
In addition to these manufacturer lenses, there are also third-party lenses available for the L-mount from companies like Tamron and Voigtlander. This wide variety of lenses makes the Lumix S1R a versatile camera for many different types of photography, from landscapes and portraits to sports and wildlife.